Vegan Green Bean Casserole (serves 4)
- 1 pound green beans, rinsed, trimmed and cut in half • Sea salt
- 2 Tbsp. vegan butter or olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup finely chopped mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp. all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 1 1/2 cups crispy fried onions divided (I love Trader’s Brand - check ingredients to ensure vegan friendly)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt well - it will help season the green beans. Add green beans and cook for 5 minutes or until cooked to your liking, then drain.
- In the meantime, start preparing sauce. In a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat, add vegan butter or olive oil and onions and garlic. Season with salt and stir. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then add mushrooms. Cook for 3-4 minutes more or until lightly browned.
- Sprinkle in flour and whisk to stir and coat the veggies. Cook for 1 minute, then slowly add in veggie stock, whisking to incorporate.
- Add almond milk next and whisk to stir again. Season with a touch more salt and pepper bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low to thicken. Cook for 5- 7 minutes more, or until thick and bubbly.
- Remove from heat and add 1/2 cup of the fried onions and all of the cooked green beans. Toss to coat well, and top with remaining fried onions.
- Bake in 400 degree oven for 15 minutes, or until warmed through and bubbly and slightly browned on top. Serve immediately.